Cheap and Dirty Gamer: The Basement Collection of Edmund McMillen
So this is what it is like to write for Cheap and Dirty. No pants. No shirt. No funds. But plenty of games. I could get used to this. Maybe I’ll conspire to prevent Ethan from ever having an internet connection again so I can hang out with you all more.
I have brought with me hidden treasures from The Basement Collection of Edmund McMillen. We’ve raved about Edmund’s designs in those other two indie games he made, but the road he traveled was as twisted and disturbing as what happens when you think about the origin of Dr. Fetus for too long.
The Basement Collection brings together 9 games designed by Edmund and various development partners. Each game includes various extras from revamped designs, bonus chapters, soundtracks, interviews, concept art, and even a few clips from the cutting room of Indie Game: The Movie.
As for the games themselves, I’ve played through the 7 unlocked games and have the video archive to prove it:
Here’s what your $4 (aka 57 cents a game) gets you:
- Meat Boy Prototype – Reminds us what it was like to discover something truly awesome on Newgrounds. It also reminds me why Ethan still hangs out on Newgrounds.
- Coil – will try to teach you about the wonders behind the creation of life. But don’t let anyone tell you that controlling sperm is easy. It wasn’t my fault.
- Triachnid – will make a fool out of you as you try to help this pitiful creature survive in a cruel world. Physics experiments going wrong is very right.
- Aether – is a metaphor that will make the hardest of men cry rivers. Swinging around the universe with your monster pal is the only way to travel
- Time Fcuk – will try to bore into your brain and make you question whether you are dreaming or not. Lots of platforming puzzle goodness here, would love to see a Super Time Fcuk.
- Grey Matter – is it a SHMUP? It feels like a SHMUP. But I’m also learning geometry. I’m winning! I’m dead.
- Spewer – Outside of Meat Boy, it feels like the fullest game and is another great physics platformer. Even if I suck at using projectile vomiting to its fullest potential.
There are two hidden games that I have not unlocked yet, and I feel like Edmund is trying to protect all of us for a reason. A total of 9 games, plus all the behind-the-scenes goodies make this as cheap and dirty as you can get without being completely free.
I say jump on Steam today and support the mad mind of McMillen. It’s a trip to the basement that you won’t soon forget or ever be comfortable with.
Cheap and Dirty Gamer – Being cheap used to be an insult, but with the economy in the dumps it’s now a survival skill. Being dirty also used to be an insult, but that changed after Christina Aguilera’s song came out. Not all gamers have the funds to play full priced games, but that doesn’t mean that gaming quality has to suffer. There are good free and cheap games everywhere, games specifically made for the sexy survivors among us.