Horrible Times #410: The City Will Be OK
Someone has to figure out always online connectivity right? I know we are all doubting our internets thanks to EA’s and Maxis’ complete failure of a launch for SimCity that made Diablo III’s launch issues seem almost tame by comparison. I admit there lack of preparedness is baffling, but it was also hard for me to care. I just moved on to one of two other quality titles that were released in the same week. My only regret is that I preordered SimCity so my dollars had already spoken and encouraged another future debacle.
My trip to the Louisville Arcade Expo this weekend also reminded me that no matter the launch issues or the quality of a title of any franchise or one-off video game that the industry will continue on. Sure, I still play plenty of retro games these days and own a handful of older consoles, but seeing the entire room that LAX dedicated to the history of gaming complete with just about every console from the 70′s through the 90′s was pretty impressive. Experiencing the reasons why you enjoy your hobby all over again is good medicine for overthinking the industry’s “issue of the week” every week. Check out our gallery from LAX 2013 to see some of my favorites.
Beyond the “timeline room,” I surprised myself in that I this year I was more interested in playing old pinball games than old arcade games. Sure Coop and I got our fill of Cabal, N.A.R.C., and WWF Superstars, not to mention more modern pinball tables like AC/DC and Terminator 2, but I had never taken the time to understand and enjoy tables without multi-ball, sensory numbing light shows, and moving rails before. I grew up with classic video games, but it was nice to appreciate their pinball equivalents for the first time.
Have Some News
- Modern Warfare co-lead, Jason West, has left Respawn Entertainment.
- Since it is now official, have a AC4: Black Flag trailer.
- Thief is back, next-gen.
- Torment breaks first day Kirckstarter records with $1 million+
- Dead Space 3: Awakened DLC promises survival horror.
- Wayforward dev forms new studio, Yacht Club Games.
- SimCity collapsed, was taken off Amazon, and EA giving away a free game as an apology.
- Tuesday Live Show at 7:30pm EST – The Horrible Show discusses gaming’s sacred cows with Star Wars Pinball and more after the show.
- Game Coverage of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate and Cleansing
- NASA does Game Jams.
Have Some Culture
- Zeno Clash 2 looks like it will let you punch even weirder people and things.
- Hotline Miami fan film reminds me of how messed up that game is.
- F-Zero arcade game discovered inside of Gamecube version.
- Dad converts Donkey Kong for daughter so that Pauline saves Mario.
- Mega awesome Mega Man Boss Battle art gallery.
- Fuse’s characters explained with infographics.
How much do you love your headcrab?