Mega Headlines: Silicon Auction Losers
I don’t want it to seem like I was cheering against Blizzard’s auction house, but anyone who had as many connectivity issues as I did with the game has to laugh at the situation now. I’m also fascinated by the fact that I cannot bring myself to help fund a sequel to one of my favorite games of all time, even if it is made by essentially the same people. Silicon Knights, I mean, Precursor Games, needs to raise money for a good PR team first.
The last few days in headlines
- Blizzard has to take Diablo 3 auction house offline after bug breaks economy. I appreciate the experiement, but what was the upside of all of this again?
- Double Fine and Humble continue to get creative with their bundles. I miss Iron Brigade though.
- WoW loses 1.3 million subscribers in last 3 months. It won’t die, but I don’t think it is bouncing back either (neither does Activision).
- 900 people laid off from EA in last 3 months. Felt like they tried to push this under the rug, pretty nasty.
- Van Helsing action RPG gets PC release date. Looks intriguing, but the genre is getting stretched a bit.
- There’s something funny about Silicon Knights and this Eternal Darkness successor. Do you trust them with your money?
- Defiance is getting 5 DLC releases and a second season of the TV show. I’m still rooting for it, not sure why.
Previews, Trailers and Reviews
- Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move Review – I don’t know why I bet against it.
- Thunder Wolves trailer had me at “arcade-style helicopter game.”
- First screens of Telltale’s Fables / The Wolf Among Us. No pressure to follow up The Walking Dead.
- Hellraid trailer from Dead Island devs. You don’t really need to show off the zombie-like characters though.
- First hero revealed for Dungeon Defenders 2. Hard not to love everything DD.
- The Forest looks like a first person Don’t Starve meets Minecraft. Oh ya, and it’s not just about survival, it’s survival horror.