Mega Headlines: One Fez Survivor
It can’t be a bad thing to have all the headlines the week after E3. People are definitely talking about the Xbox One and all of its policy reversals. Without going into detail, DRM was never my issue with the Xbox One and those policies (if this week proved anything beyond a doubt) are completely malleable. My bet is both Sony and Microsoft have DRM policies that mirror each other for digital games in 3 years time. My real issue with Microsoft right now is in its treatment of game developers, even ones like Phil Fish who won’t be bringing Fez 2 near the Xbox. I’m all for the games, and Microsoft is burning some really creative bridges, well beyond just Phil, too. However, I will say if all platforms blocked Hammerpoint Interactive until they got their collective shit together, that wouldn’t be terrible.
The last few days in headlines
- Penny Arcade Report calls out Microsoft for bullying developers to sign with publishers. This is the root of my problem with where MS is headed.
- Ken Levine is writing Logan’s Run remake (movie). Has to be a nice change of pace for him.
- Rayman Legends delay was due to Wii U sales. Hope this sticks with you Big N.
- Xbox One reverses its used game and online check policies. You probably heard about this one. Smart move. Here’s a follow-up from Marc Whitten. And how about Cliffy B’s opinion.
- Steam Beta Code mentions game sharing. Meanwhile, more than one company is playing with DRM.
- Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition removed from App Store. Weird contractual issues, hope they get it sorted out.
- The War Z renamed to Infestation: Survivor Stories. Messiest launch ever?
- Fez 2 will be played on “not Xbox.” Phil joins the growing, outspoken indie devs that have had issues with Microsoft Studios.