Heads had to roll after Microsoft’s E3 and its policy reversal, but so many things are changing at MS these days it is hard to say if the head of Xbox, Don Mattrick, leaving for Zynga was in the works even before E3. Regardless, I don’t know how you jump in with gusto onto Zynga’s ship. Meanwhile, in Kickstarter land, the company that put game development crowdfunding on the map, Double Fine, may have gotten millions more than they asked for to make Broken Age, but they are still going to run out of money. It and Tim Schafer are handling it as honestly as they can, but backers definitely have cause to be concerned even if games go over budget all of the time. All will be forgiven if Broken Age’s early release stays on track. Just as I was losing a bit of my enthusiasm for Saints Row IV, they had to go and release a god damned inspirational speech from President Keith David. I’m all in again. I just wish I was all in on this Cube World alpha because all of you that are in won’t shut up about it. I wanna be the guy, too.
We had a bit of a set back with our mega headlines feeds, but we are back in action. Keep up with even more headlines that have our attention on the Horrible Newswire on Google+.
The last few days in headlines
- Don Mattrick leaves Microsoft, heads for Zynga. I’m not sure he’ll be missed even if this was in the works before E3.
- Major Nelson is sorry gamers are disappointed in the Free with Gold game of the month. Did it make anyone happy?
- Saints Row 4 gets a ‘low violence‘ edition. I blame Australia for this travesty.
- Titanfall takes record six E3 Game Critics Awards. I must be missing something.
- Double Fine’s Broken Age is being split in half in order for an early release in January 2014 to fund the rest of the game. Not surprising, still troubling.
- Klei Games announces Incognita. Can’t wait to see more.
- Indie Fund’s next game is Fract OSC. So far they have brought us Monaco, Dear Esther, Antichamber, QUBE and The Swapper.
- LIMBO now out for iOS devices. Remember when this used to be an exclusive?
- Xbox One reputation system aims to make griefers play together. Great goal anyway.
- American McGee also raising funds for Alice film rights through OZombie Kickstarter. I completely forgot that this movie almost happened.
- Cube World public alpha now available. Assuming the sign up servers can ever recover from the demand.
- Final Fantasy VII now available on Steam. Where the hell did that come from? (Don’t say, “the Cloud”)
- FEZ finally gets an XBLA patch since they are free now. I love the snarky side of this story. Phil always cracks me up.
- Twitch and Valve team up. Mark another needed Steam feature off the list.