Justin was ready to hang out with Ratchet & Clank again anyway, so having a PS4 remake of the original experience couldn't have come at a better time.
Previous Ratchet & Clank Experience
- Played the original game and a bit of the 2nd game, but none since.
- Pretty ignorant of this update other than the graphics and that it was tied to the movie.
- Played through the intro once before recording video.
Initial Expectations, Hopes, Dreams, Fears
- This is going to be beautiful
- Hopefully they fix any pacing issues to tighten up the original experience
- Not sure if they will use the same weapons and upgrades from just the original game or pull from others
- I hope it doesn't feel like a cash in for the movie
- I hope it isn't glitchy and feels polished rather than rushed out for the movie
What actually happened
They nailed it. Ratchet & Clank not only looks like you are playing a modern animated film, but it feels like home. If the movie wasn't coming out, I'd be even more floored at the care that oozes from every detail of this game. Regardless of how it got made, I'm just glad it did. This is my preferred style of remake. It's more than an HD version with just enhanced graphics, but it's also not a complete reimagining of a game that wasn't broken to begin with. Let the game flex with new hardware, and address any legacy issues that modern games have solved, but make it the same game. It's been over 12 years so I'm more than ready to revisit a modern version of one of my favorite games.
I did enjoy the added backstory to Ratchet and Clank. I was absolutely floored by the graphics in Clank's intro. Just as my nostalgia trip was wearing off, the game came at me with its weapon upgrade system and had me ready to use all the weapons all the time just to make more satisfying chaos happen. Even the collectible cards system that I dogged on a bit when it was first introduced started to show some promise. Even if the levels start to feel a bit too familiar, these enhancements will push me through to more exciting moments. However, from what I've seen of the new additions to the game, Insomniac was well aware of how to pace the gameplay. Whether or not major or subtle changes surrounded me, the entire experience had just the right balance of feeling fresh yet familiar. Of course, this only matters for fans of the original like me, as newcomers to Ratchet & Clank are set to have an even better introduction to the franchise than the rest of us.
Will I keep playing?
Absolutely. Before this came out I was planning on revisiting the first Ratchet & Clank anyway, but I get that experience plus gorgeous graphics and some polished up modern gameplay enhancements. I plan on finishing this and convincing as many friends and friends with kids to play this as is possible.